Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mouse-ter Chief

I've been brewing on this story for a full week at this point, but if things go the way they have been, Disney will be acquiring additional properties over time, including more mediums of entertainment.  Word came down that Disney would be buying Lucasfilm, creating another trilogy of Star Wars movies and otherwise managing the universe Lucas created.

There are a few thoughts that come to mind as I try to process these kinds of things that I have no clear understanding or power over.  Firstly, I worry about one over-arching voice of creative control for so many different aspects of entertainment.  At the same time, the war chest that Disney can dispense for their projects allows for so many more projects to go through the machine.  In the end it may come down to your personal preference; do you prefer a lot of the things you used to really like or would you rather have less but respect the product more.

At the same time, I can't really complain that Disney took over everything Star Wars if I look to how they treated taking over Marvel a few years ago.  When word came down that the sugarplum empire was going to handle my childhood (alright, I'll concede probably lifelong) obsession, I was very worried.  In practice, the only problems I've had with Marvel since come from maybe a little too much marketing for movie cross-promotion and weak writing for their huge events.  Otherwise, writers kept on doing what they were supposed to do and artists did the same.

In the end though, I'll just have to wait and see.  It's like I said before, it's not like I'll ever have a clear look behind the curtain or have any chance to affect any change if I did.  Guess I'll have to work harder to create entertainment of my own.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: