Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sleepy-time Reads

Reading comics on my iPad is addicting.  Load them up and they just sit there all in a row, waiting for you to knock them all out.  Ever since I was a wee lad, I've liked reading something before bed.  Now that I can do so on a back-lit screen, comics has become the #1 solution.

When I read a normal, mainstream title like the Avengers or Spider-Man, reading one or two comics is enough to get my eyes sufficiently droopy and start to drop the curtain down on my brain.

This blog post will serve as a personal warning to myself: do not read series like Locke & Key, Secret Warriors or The Walking Dead before bedtime.  These series are mixes of captivating and surprising, fulfilling and nuanced, or depressing and melancholy and they all get my brain racing.

Sleep: negative.  Or at least I should uninterrupted sleep will be a shock to me.  Some of creepiest dreams have come after reading a few issues of Walking Dead a bit too close to putting my head to pillow.

On the other side of the coin, Marvel comics are exactly what the doctor ordered.  They are exciting reads and I love all the titles I follow, but it's more like a favorite TV show that I know all the main characters will be fine until the next episode.  That safety goes a long way to letting me begin to analyze artists or writers more than those by other publishers.

Comic nerd begone now! If you stuck through to the end of this, you clearly are near and dear to me.

Punch it, Chewie!


No comments: