Thursday, December 1, 2011

When Nerds Collide!

For those who follow this little internet fiefdom, you'll know that I collect/adore comic books.  I've been collecting for probably over 20 years though not with any kind of serious intentions.  Most of my collection would be described as a step below near mint, so a few notches off that price that everyone thinks they're worth.

My recent invigoration with collecting comics came at the perfect time to get back into it with a few friends.  This is also a weird situation for me since comic books have been a solo passion; all my knowledge and love for comic books was bottled up because there was no one to discuss them with.  That's now changed, and it's shown me a whole new level of nerd I didn't know I had.  The current project is depicted above, a digital catalog where we can keep track of what we have and what we've read.  There are programs that could assist us in this, but we take our nerd seriously; we're building our own.

I tried out the shooter game Brink because it's free-to-play on Steam this weekend, and I was less than impressed.  The game crashed several times just on the menu screen, and the in-game lag left me confused as to what movements I was making on my own using their "smart movement" system (a Parkour-style way of moving around the environment).  I followed this game in development somewhere around a year ago and I was very excited for it to come out.  Now having played it, I'm only reminded of how many games I've waited for and been excited by features in the magazines or demos, but that fall completely flat when you get your hands on it completely.  One would think I'd learn to lower my expectations, but that's a fight for a different day.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: