Thursday, January 19, 2012

Eyeballs Are For Losers

If you could, would you really turn down the ability to augment your life with a super power of any kind?  If I had to give up a finger or a toe in order to do it, sign me up.  I wasn't using them all, anyways.

Something I always find amusing are the 'what power would you pick' conversations.  Batman's a real outlier in this conversation, because he doesn't have a power except for anger and money to buy batmobiles and utility belts and the like.  Other than a few other examples like that, all super-powered heroes were granted their abilities without any choice in the matter at all.  They had to adapt to their situation and chose to make the best out of it.  To me that's the real test, to be able to alter your reality to include these extraordinary factors.

I had this idea in mind all day long, so it was completely by random chance I was reading through an X-Men event from a few years ago today, and someone who I was pretty impressed with also has eye-beam powers.  Cyclops is now not only leader of the X-Men, but de facto leader of what's left of the mutant race in the Marvel universe.  As a kid reading through comics, I was underwhelmed with Cyclops because he was "leader" in what seemed to be name only.  Now he's really stepped out, even to the point of disagreeing from time to time with Xavier.  Moving pieces and teams around the board, his tactical skills have completely come into their own.

It's a good time to be a nerd.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: