Thursday, January 12, 2012

With The Power Of Hugs!

Lately, maybe even more so than normal, comics have been in my life.  Thus the idea of match-ups and several "who would win between" spontaneous conversations have been cropping up, and it got me thinking about the nature of comic books.

It's not to their benefit to make a well-adjusted, nonviolent character and place them in a world of drunken bar fights with lasers shooting from eye sockets.  It just wouldn't compute for their younger demographic, who's only just beginning to learn about all the new crazy chemicals getting pumped into their bloodstream.  As those youngsters age, it's especially important not to try and get all peace-y or else you run the risk of damaging their childhood memories and losing a customer.  Art for profit, it's an interesting business.

I think we're going to do it.  We've been avoiding it or waiting for the right time, but I think the day has dawned.  We at the Manor need to watch the next season of Dexter.  I have to admit I've been less than awe-struck by the past two seasons.  I'm feeling comfortable in this world where it's normal for a man to be a scientific investigator and a sociopath all rolled into one.  Perhaps that's the problem, though.  The novelty of the man who kills because he has to, but uses a code to keep from completely losing his chance at redemption, is wearing off.  I'm holding on to hope that this season is redeeming in itself and makes me anxious for more.  I hear that's how entertainers are supposed to leave me.

Anyways, that's it for this week.  Enjoy MLKJ day next week, and especially enjoy it if you're fortunate enough to be off work or other responsibilities.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: