Thursday, August 2, 2012

Young Buck?

In creating a character as powerful as Batman I really think it comes down to equal parts luck, genius writing and community interest to give those writers time to stretch out in that creative space.

I'm just grateful for the evolution from that mysterious detective (prior to his origin story he even carried a gun - something his modern iteration is fundamentally against) to today's martial arts expert-billionaire-philanthropist.  Had any one choice in his character, such as cape or no cape would by degrees have degraded how captivating the ideas and images of The Batman are. In nearly every story, I'm just pulled into his brooding images and I love knowing that In Batman We Trust, he'll be able to figure out what's going on or come to some kind of resolution to whatever mystery or crime he's dealing with.

That being said, I was really disappointed after reading through DC's Final Crisis story event from a few years ago. DC's crisis stories have always made me raise an eyebrow, but this one seemed to go beyond what I thought they would do. While it does a good job at setting the stage for a few follow-up events involving Green Lantern (hooray!), the writing was almost hallucinogenic and overly vague to seemingly cover up the fact that even the writers couldn't really wrestle with the concepts that they were expecting us readers to. After letting this one sit with me for awhile, I'd suggest anyone interested in comic book events give it a pass. Read Batman's Night of the Owls event that came out earlier this year instead, it's fantastic.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: