Thursday, July 19, 2012

And I Feel Fine

The end of the world as we know it, or TEOTWAWKI to those in crazier circles, is something that can loom over some people much more than others. I'd say loom over people more 'these days' but I don't think that's actually a true statement. There are always Henny Penny's out there just watching and waiting for the sky to fall, it's more a reflection of the general populace's mood as to how much attention it's being paid.

In internet culture, survival skills (built more for vampire and zombie attacks) are a cute way to mask a person's fear that it's all going to come crashing down around us. The weirdos that prepare for this kind of thing in earnest will have the enviable position to say 'I told you all so' if society ever does have a coronary, but until that time they're relegated to being the nutjobs that parents gently shoo their children away from in the grocery store lines.

For myself, I love camping. Actually, I don't think I love camping as much as I do packing to go camping. It's the strategy of trying to figure out how much space you'll have, what you'll want vs. what you'll need and trying to get ahead of whatever Mother Nature has in store for you. It's been a goal of mine to build a few hiking packs for those living here at The Estate, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Them being able to double as 'ditch bags' if anything serious ever happened would be a nice peace of mind just to have stored within easy access.

Uh oh, I think I'm identifying with the weirdos. Again.

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: