Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Missing Nerd Report

Every time I'm in the book store, I always go to the same section.  Without fail, you can find me in or near the Science Fiction/Fantasy sections.  It's just always been that way, the other sections don't interest me enough to want to read words on pages about them.

In the past at our particular chain book store, my section was directly across from the children's section, something that brought the median age down quite a bit.  Luckily, to keep creepers from being near the kiddies (I sincerely doubt that's the real reason why), the store was rearranged and my section got moved.

The bad part is that now instead of being in view of the bank of windows and near laughing children and near the movies and music, we nerds don't have quite that setup any longer.  Now, we get to listen to boxes being moved in the storage areas and we are placed in the farthest corner in the store, without windows, music or youthful joy.  The really ironic part is that I end up feeling more comfortable in that situation since my professional nerding used to be a very private thing for me.

Either way, I'm ripping through a fantastic fantasy series by Steven Erikson, The Malazan Book of the Fallen.  I've read the Lord of the Rings books before, but I've never read something in the Fantasy realm that got this dark and kept me this captivated.  I'm not sure the Hobbits would fare too well on Genabackis or in Raraku.

Ah well, we're already through a good chunk of this week folks! Let's keep up the pace, as if our attitude will truly help the passage of time at work!

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: