Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spacial Ignorance

Space X reached orbit this past weekend! It's just one more notch towards the privatization of 'the last frontier' and I couldn't be more in favor of it. Not only will it lead to me possibly floating weightless outside of the atmosphere, but it should also help progress in our society that I feel has somewhat stalled-out.

The last time that there was a real push in invention and innovation was during the last Space Race against the Russians nearly forty years ago.  I think that once the private sector gets involved, given some mild guidelines, that some really interesting things could come out of it.

What really adds an interesting spin to all of this will be the inclusion of a society now fully in the Digital Age. NASA and governments have been using technology to improve their safety and effectiveness in space, but I'm not sure they've really been able to explore their options outside of government contracts for vendors.  There are plans to mine asteroids to help increase resources as well as provide industry off-planet, so the intellect of the people who can afford to dream is beginning to reach outward more and more...

Shake it off, it's not like I'll be suiting up for launch in a few weeks.  However, daydreaming on it could very well help this week fly by.  Join me!

Punch it, Chewie!

No comments: